Sunday, August 28, 2016

Making Positive Affirmation Photos for College Students


Affirmations are positive, specific statements that help you to overcome self-sabotaging, negative thoughts. They help you visualize, and believe in, what you're affirming to yourself, helping you to make positive changes to your life, at school or your career.
 There is evidence that the use of positive affirmations can successfully treat people with low self-esteem, depression, or those under chronic stress, like our college students. Quite a lot of how we do in life depends on our mindset. If we begin to replace those negative thoughts and conversations in our minds with positive ones, we can actually begin to reprogram our thinking patterns. 
So try looking at positive affirmations this way – many of us do repetitive exercises to improve our body's physical health and condition. Affirmations are like exercises for our mind and outlook; these positive mental repetitions can reprogram our thinking patterns so that, over time, we begin to think, and act, in a new way.
Each month I like to send a care package to my son who is away at college. I know it helps to lift his spirits and helps remind him that he is loved and remembered. This year, I've decided that I'm going to add little positive affirmation photos for him. These are affirmations that I know his heart is needing to hear right now as he settles into his sophomore year and begins his classes. 

How to write affirmations for your child:

1. Think about your child's positive attributes or the things that you want him to know you love about him. Make a list of all the beautiful things about your child. 
2. Think about the negative thoughts or conversations that your child may be having with themselves. You know, the little conversations that you have when they are down on themselves and you try to build them up? The things they beat themselves up over. The lies they tell themselves. 
"I am not ____ enough."    
" I am terrible at math. I just can't understand."
"I really don't have any friends."
"I'm all alone here at school. I'll never fit in."
3. Prioritize what you think your child's heart is needing to hear right now. For example, I know my son is feeling anxious about the harder classes he will be taking this semester and that he is now living in a suite with 3 other boys. I know that he feels a little left out when he leaves home. He is very family oriented and feels like he's missing out on family activities when he is away. I think about how he might be feeling right now and what he needs to believe about himself in order to move forward. 
4. Now it's time to write the affirmations. I think about the negative thoughts he might be thinking and then write a counter-script. Begin the affirmation with "I" and write in a present tense as if this is happening right now. Here are a few examples:
  • I love myself even though I sometimes fail. 
  • I enjoy challenging myself in new ways, possibilities and directions.
  • I turn failures into opportunities for success.
  • I am brave.
  • I am beloved. 
  • I feel confident and secure.
5. Look through pictures on your phone or camera. Pick ones you think your child would like. Then go to Picmonnkey. Click edit and download a photo from your computer. Select the photo you would like to edit. You can crop or add effects and then add text to your picture. I picked different fonts and colors to mix it up a bit. When you are satisfied with your photo save it to your computer and then order prints. It's that easy! 
Here are the affirmation photos I made to tuck into Septembers care package:





 















I know he is going to love these and because I chose pictures with special meaning, he will put them out where he can see them with their affirmations. Every time he looks at them and reads the affirmation it will help him to to reprogram his thinking pattern. 

No comments:

Post a Comment